Liposuction of the back, flanks, and hips.
What is Liposuction?
Liposuction removes fat from areas that do not respond to diet and exercise. These areas include the abdomen, hips, thighs, neck, arms, back, thighs, knees, calves and ankles. Liposuction is also a surgical technique that is used to perform the Brazilian Butt Lift procedure. Liposuction must be performed skillfully, technically precise, and must shape the body with gentle curves and blend into surrounding areas seamlessly. I have personally performed thousands of liposuction cases here in Beverly Hills. I treat every patient as an individual with different problem areas and different goals. Many of my patients use liposuction as a kickstart towards a healthier lifestyle. I am a liposuction patient myself and had surgery myself about 10 years ago. I have always been active and in good shape, however, I had isolated extra fat in my inner thigh and around my knees that I just could not get rid of – no matter how thin I was there was just a bulge in both areas. Liposuction helped me get rid of those two fat pockets – even though not a lot of fat was removed, it improved the contour of my leg. Having a better contour motivated me even more to exercise and maintain my results. Honestly, I wish I had done it sooner. Liposuction is most successful in people with good skin tone who have fatty deposits. I want to emphasize that liposuction is not a treatment for obesity. If weight gain occurs following liposuction, each fat cell left behind will get bigger and you will get bigger everywhere. The good thing is that if you continue to diet and exercise after surgery – each fat cell will get smaller so you will get an even better result in the areas you’ve had liposuction. Almost all of my patients lost weight after their surgery because they felt better about themselves and were more motivated to stay healthy. To maintain the safety of the procedure, there is a limit on how much can be done at one time. For proper blending and for natural body contouring, often liposuction 360 is performed. Liposuction 360 involves liposuction of the abdomen, hips, flanks, and back so they naturally blend into each other and the surrounding areas. Liposuction is often combined with fat grafting. Additionally, you’d be glad to know that if you’re in Beverly Hills and looking out for options in Liposuctions or a Tummy Tuck procedure in Beverly Hills, we’ve got you covered. Our surgeons can guide you in undergoing such complex yet extremely result driven procedure to get a perfect body shape.
Things You Should Know Before Your Liposuction Procedure
Liposuction removes and thins excess fat that does not respond to diet and exercise. It cannot correct underlying muscle separation, hanging skin, or hernias. Sometimes in patients with poor elasticity, liposuction actually makes their skin hang more. I spend a lot of time with my patients talking about what can and cannot be fixed with liposuction. It is VERY important for patients to have realistic expectations after liposuction.
What Happens During Liposuction Procedure
Liposuction is done under general anesthesia or IV sedation. With very small isolated areas, I sometimes perform liposuction under local anesthesia. I have developed a special multi-staged technique that removes fat in an even and gentle fashion. The details of this and why it is important will be explained to you in your consultation. A thin liposuction cannula is inserted in a small incision and attached to a suction machine. The procedure may take an hour or several hours, depending on how many areas are involved. I take pride in creating even, symmetric, and natural-looking results. As I specialize in Revision Liposuction (fixing liposuction errors), I take extra time and care with every single stroke and motion and with the shaping of the body. Too often I see liposuction performed over-aggressively resulting in bumps, irregularities, injuries to the skin and tissues that are often irreversible. Like everything else, liposuction requires meticulous attention to detail and artistry to create the best possible results.
Liposuction Results & Recovery: What To Expect
Recovery from liposuction is relatively easy. A few hours after surgery you should be up and walking around. Many of my patients return to work a few days after surgery. I have developed a gentle liposuction technique that has minimal pain and a quick recovery. Swelling and some bruising is normal the first two weeks. You will wear special garments that are measured for your body and provided to you to apply pressure, minimize swelling and provide support while healing. These garments also assist in the retraction of the skin. I use dissolvable sutures so they don’t need to be removed. The scars will be almost invisible. (I’ll show you mine – you can barely see them). Overall, my patients are extremely happy after liposuction. They finally feel they are rid of “problem areas” they lived with for a long time even despite diet and exercise. They have a smoother contour and a more proportionate shape. I truly enjoy performing liposuction and feel like a sculptor, helping my patients achieve the aesthetic shape they desire.
- When you wake up from your liposuction surgery, you will be in the compression garment already. It will feel a little damp, but that is completely normal. It is best to bring a split open trash bag to cover the seat of your car.
- It is extremely important to keep the liposuction garment on for six weeks after the surgery. Any swelling you have will decrease significantly if you wear your garment properly. You will also have foam pads inside your garment, just to make sure the skin stays smooth and flat. We recommend keeping the foams inside your garment for two weeks and to make sure the garment is straight, without any wrinkles or creases in it.
- When you wash your garment you should be out of it for only up to 30 minutes at a time. Quickly hand wash it with some detergent and put it in the dryer for 15-20 minutes.
- If you’re having liposuction on your inner thigh, you need to make sure the garment comes all the way up on your leg.
- It is important to walk several times the evening of surgery, up until two weeks after surgery.
- Have someone assist you in getting in and out of bed and going to the restroom right after your liposuction surgery, but you may slowly resume normal activities 3-4 days after the surgery.
- You should wait for two days after your liposuction until you shower. You need to give the incisions time to heal before you get your body wet.
- Take off your compression garment when you shower and make sure you do this with assistance as people can faint during removal of garments or feel faint in the shower. Do not scrub any of the incisions, just let the water flow over them.
- After your liposuction in Beverly Hills, you will have several little holes in your body which will be closed by dissolvable little sutures. Those sutures should dissolve on their own, but if they don’t, we can help dissolve them in our office.
- After liposuction, it is very common to be swollen for a few months. Maximal swelling is usually around day three, then as the fluids leave your body you should see your swelling go down.