Addressing Loose Skin After Liposuction
It’s easy to get swept up in the excitement of finally getting your liposuction procedure. But what if, instead of the sleek silhouette you envisioned, you experience loose skin after liposuction? It’s a heart-wrenching reality that can leave you feeling defeated after investing so much hope and anticipation into your transformation.
That’s why it’s imperative to be well-informed of potential side effects, like the possibility of reduced skin elasticity after liposuction. Knowing what to expect and having a realistic plan will give you peace of mind that a body you love is within reach.
At Dr. Cat Plastic Surgery, we’re committed to empowering you with the knowledge and support you need to feel comfortable and confident in your new body.
In today’s article, we’ll tap into the expertise of Dr. Cat, a distinguished authority and pioneer in innovative plastic surgery and advanced skincare.
With these insights, you’ll gain a comprehensive understanding of how liposuction affects your skin, ways to alleviate loose skin after liposuction, and tips for maintaining skin elasticity moving forward.
Understanding Post-Liposuction Skin Texture
To understand why many patients develop saggy skin after liposuction, we first have to delve into how liposuction works.
Liposuction (or lipo) is a minimally invasive procedure that removes stubborn fat from different body areas. When it comes to body sculpting, liposuction is highly effective. But one thing lipo can’t do is tighten the skin. As a result, it’s not unusual for some patients to experience loose skin after liposuction.
We know what you’re thinking — if you lose skin elasticity after liposuction, then liposuction must be the culprit, right? Not necessarily. It has more to do with your skin type, than the procedure itself.
Dr. Cat explains, “Liposuction removes fat from under the skin. The skin tightens around the emptied areas over four to six months. Patients with good collagen levels, tight skin, and not an excessive amount of fat have the best results.”
In others, however, that volume loss may result in skin that doesn’t bounce back and retract the way they anticipated.
As for what loose skin after lipo looks like, it could…
- sag or droop in areas where the fat was removed
- feel looser or less firm than before the procedure
- lack elasticity and appear stretched out
- fold or wrinkle in the treated areas
- appear less-defined or contoured than intended
While frustrating, saggy skin after liposuction isn’t always an indication of botched lipo. Nonetheless, it’s disheartening to feel like you’ve put in tremendous effort and investment into enhancing your body, only to be left with undesirable results.
So why does it happen?
Causes of Loose Skin after Liposuction
The possibility of loose skin after your procedure can be a daunting prospect. While it’s natural to feel concerned, it’s important to understand that many factors contribute to this result.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the causes that often lead to reduced skin elasticity following liposuction:
- Poor skin elasticity: Dr. Cat says patients with poor skin elasticity are more likely to develop loose, saggy skin after liposuction. This includes patients who’ve experienced dramatic weight loss or, conversely, those with higher-than-average amounts of fat.
- Age: Since we lose collagen as we age, older patients are also more prone to sagging after liposuction.
- Amount of fat removed: Over-aggressively removing fat doesn’t just increase a patient’s risk for developing loose skin; it also increases the risk of injury to other tissues, says Dr. Cat.
- Genetics: Some patients are more likely to develop loose skin after liposuction due to genetic factors (such as skin thickness, collagen production, and overall skin quality).
- Ignoring surgical instructions: Following pre- and post-op instructions is essential for optimizing recovery and reducing your chances of developing skin laxity after surgery.
The good news? You have various treatment options available for restoring firmness (and your confidence).
Surgical vs. Non-surgical Treatment Options
Loose skin after liposuction doesn’t have to stand in the way of achieving your dream body.
Dr. Cat offers surgical and non-surgical solutions to address skin laxity after lipo. As for which is suitable for you, everyone’s needs and goals are unique. Therefore, open and transparent communication is a must for setting realistic expectations and developing a customized treatment plan that’s best for you.
Let’s start with Dr. Cat’s surgical approaches for skin tightening after liposuction.
As an internationally-renowned plastic surgeon, Dr. Cat’s unwavering commitment to extraordinary results has garnered her the trust of patients worldwide, including celebs and high-profile clientele.
She is a true master in delivering optimal results for liposuction patients. However, she emphasizes that surgical skill and technique are essential for getting the results you desire.
“I’ve developed a multi-phase, gentle liposuction technique with thin cannulas (or tubes) that evenly and artistically remove fat without excess trauma or pain. Through years of experience, having done thousands of liposuction cases, I’m also able to assess the skin and plan how much fat I can carefully remove without creating excess skin. “
These surgical procedures can help rectify loose skin after liposuction:
- Abdominoplasty: Commonly known as a tummy tuck, this procedure removes excess skin and fat from the abdomen, tightening your muscles, and improving the look of sagging skin caused by previous liposuction.
- Arm lift/Thigh lift: This procedure is similar to a tummy tuck but focuses on removing excess skin and fat from the upper arms or thighs, improving their contour, and reducing sagging.
- Monsplasty: Also known as a pubic lift, this procedure removes excess skin and fat exclusively from the pubic area, resulting in a smoother, more natural contour.
- Body lift: A body lift is an extensive surgery combining several lift procedures, targeting multiple body areas affected by loose skin after weight loss or liposuction.
Who qualifies for surgical treatment?
Do any of the following statements ring true for you? If so, you may be an ideal candidate:
- You have loose skin after liposuction or significant weight loss that can’t be corrected through non-surgical methods.
- You’re in good health and have received clearance from your primary care physician.
- You plan on maintaining your weight post-surgery.
- You intend to follow all pre-and post-operative instructions from your surgeon.
Prefer a non-invasive approach to saggy skin after liposuction? Dr. Cat has you covered.
Non-surgical treatments can be highly effective in many cases, but it’s important to remember they’re not all created equal.
There are various types of non-invasive skin-tightening technologies flooding the market, but Dr. Cat warns many have higher rates of complications and create scar tissue beneath the skin.
“I ALWAYS extensively research every device, looking at scientific data and long-term results. Coolsculpting, for instance, has had a disastrous complication rate of paradoxical adipose hyperplasia, in which the treatment enlarges fat chunks in 1 in 2000 treatments. I’ve performed many revisions on Coolsculpting as well as other devices that create an extensive amount of scar and irregularities in the tissues.”
In other words, some non-surgical treatments can have the opposite effect, making your skin look looser and even more pronounced. We know that’s the last thing you want.
A better option?
Dr. Cat specializes in ThermiSmooth , her exclusive non-invasive treatment that uses radiofrequency energy to tighten and smooth skin. This energy heats the skin, changing it at the cellular level and increasing collagen production. This boost in collagen helps tighten drooping skin and create a firmer, more youthful appearance.
Plus, it won’t hamper your routine because there’s no downtime required.
“The device and technique I use for skin tightening — the ThermiRF — builds collagen in the dermis tightening the skin. This device’s results are very user dependent, so I have developed a technique to maximize the results. I have used this technique for over eight years, which has been very effective.”
Who qualifies for non-surgical treatment?
ThermiSmooth is ideal for patients who:
- Have flabby or excess skin, cellulite, or small areas of stubborn fat they haven’t been able to lose with exercise or diet.
- Are in good health standing with no serious medical conditions or implanted medical devices.
As for maintaining skin firmness after liposuction, we’ve compiled some prevention strategies to help you succeed in your post-operative journey.
Tips for Maintaining Skin Elasticity Post-Lipo
It goes without saying that optimal skin firmness after liposuction is critical to getting the best results. So what can you do to get ahead of any potential laxity?
To minimize your risk of developing loose skin after surgery, we recommend implementing the following tips:
Vet your surgeon
As mentioned earlier, your surgeon’s experience and artistry can significantly impact the outcome of your procedure, including the appearance of your skin after surgery.
Take time to find a reputable and trusted surgeon specializing in liposuction to minimize your risk of developing loose skin afterward.
Adopt healthy habits
Dr. Cat emphasizes that maintaining a healthy lifestyle after surgery is essential for preserving your results and skin firmness after liposuction.
“As a former fitness model and athlete, I always highlight the importance of diet and exercise. Many of my patients work with a nutritionist or trainer before and after surgery to learn how to care for themselves better.” She continues, “Surgery is extremely transformative, with most patients feeling invigorated and confident after seeing their new shape, getting even more motivated to stay healthy. Often, surgery kickstarts a new healthier chapter in their lives.”
Avoid post-lymphatic massages
While many surgeons recommend post-lymphatic massages after liposuction and tummy tucks, these massages can actually cause more harm than good. Dr. Cat advises against relying on these massages to correct poor surgical technique.
Instead, she has patients wear carefully fitted and measured compressive garments and foam pads to support their skin as they heal from liposuction.
Follow your pre- and post-op guidelines.
When you invest your money and emotions into a procedure, you deserve nothing less than an ideal outcome. That’s why it’s crucial to commit wholeheartedly by diligently following pre- and post-operative guidelines.
This gives you the best chance at achieving the results you desire and deserve — ensuring your investment pays off in the most satisfying way possible.
Tighten your Skin and Confidence with Dr. Cat Plastic Surgery
Loose skin after liposuction can be a frustrating and disheartening experience, especially after putting so much time, effort, and money into the procedure. It can leave you feeling discouraged and self-conscious, and let’s face it: that’s not what you signed up for.
Achieving the body you desire starts with choosing the right surgeon to take this journey with you. Dr. Cat’s world-renowned reputation as a leading plastic surgeon is a testament to her commitment to excellence. Celebrated for creating natural, smooth, and gorgeous results that transform the lives of her patients, Dr. Cat stands at the forefront of her field — redefining innovation and empowering people all over the world.
It’s your turn to love the skin you’re in. Book a consultation with Dr. Cat today.