Dreaming of plump, youthful skin, and making those fine lines vanish overnight? Well, you’re not alone! Fortunately, dermal fillers can go a long way to making your dreams come true. First order of business? Knowing the insider secrets to long-lasting dermal fillers.
After all, thanks to their quick results and non-invasive nature, fillers are an increasingly popular way to restore volume and give your face a beautiful lift.
But as brilliant as they are, they do require some upkeep in order to maintain that fresh, youthful contour. And that’s why everyone’s asking about how to make dermal fillers last longer.
At Dr. Cat Plastic Surgery, we understand your desire for long-lasting dermal fillers. That’s why we’re passionate about extending our expertise beyond facial rejuvenation, into essential aftercare practices that’ll help you get the most out of your fillers, so you can have gorgeously glowing skin for longer.
Join us as we discuss everything you need to know to maximize filler results.
Choosing the Right Filler
First and foremost, all dermal fillers are not created the same. Selecting wisely can greatly affect how long your results will last.
- Hyaluronic acid fillers: Made of a naturally occuring substance in the body which attracts and retains moisture, these give your skin that gorgeously smooth and supple look. The most long-lasting and durable hyaluronic acid dermal fillers are Juvederm, Restylane and Perlane.
- Ellanse is another popular filler that acts as a collagen stimulator. When injected, it triggers the body’s natural response to produce collagen, which provides you with a longer lasting result.
- Radiesse is another type of filler that’s typically stiffer than hyaluronic acid fillers, and can be used for support, for example along the jawline, and theoretically can last longer than hyaluronic acid fillers.
Whichever you choose, the safest way to ensure you choose the best product for your skin is by talking to an expert. A renowned and trusted surgeon like Dr. Cat will take time to discuss your specific aesthetic goals and the most suitable fillers for you.
In order to maximize your filler results, it’s important to prepare your skin for optimal absorption. Here are a few prep steps you can follow to get your skin in tip-top condition for the day!
One week before
To minimize bruising, avoid taking medications like Aspirin, Tylenol, Ibuprofen as well as herbal medications. Also refrain from alcohol as this dehydrates the skin.
48 Hours before
Stay away from certain topical skincare products like Retinol, Retinoids, Tretinoin, and Glycolic Acid to help reduce redness and swelling.
24 Hours before
Keep out of the sun as UV rays can speed up the aging process. The sun also dries out the skin, which needs to be well hydrated to ensure maximum uptake of your dermal fillers.
Ok, so you’ve perfectly prepped your skin, now what? Knowing how to make dermal fillers last longer comes down to your injector’s expertise and skill.
Expert Injection Technique
If you’re going to put your face in someone else’s hands, then it makes sense to choose your injector wisely. Not sure why an experienced provider is so important? Well, consider the following:
- Safety: The face has many underlying sensitive structures, such as nerves, vessels and eyes. If the injector isn’t experienced, there’s risk of damage, infection and even more severe issues.
- Natural Results: A skilled injector like Dr. Cat understands that everyone is unique, and will carry out a detailed facial analysis of each patient to achieve results that enhance your natural beauty.
- Technique: Depending on the patient’s goals and aesthetic, there are various injection techniques for each type of filler and target area. An expert practitioner will administer the ideal filler using the optimal technique for each treatment goal.
- Longevity and value: Proper injection techniques are the answer for how to make dermal fillers last longer. So consider this a worthy investment into your well-being and longevity.
Post-Treatment Dermal Filler Care: Do’s and Don’ts
One of the greatest benefits to using fillers is that there is no recovery time!
However, there may be some swelling or bruising. To minimize this and maximize your filler results, take a look at our advice below:
- Protect from UV Rays: UV rays can accelerate the aging process, so wear a high, broad spectrum SPF daily. By protecting your skin from sun damage you can maintain the results of your filler treatment and prevent skin harm.
- Go au naturel: Don’t apply make-up for 24hrs as it may contain bacteria.
- Avoid intense exercise: Avoid hitting the gym in the first five days after treatment to prevent filler migrating and the risk of swelling and bruising.
- Sleep on your back: To prevent putting pressure on the filler, use a pillow to prop you up for two nights after your injection.
- Stay away from heat: Fillers are heat sensitive in the first few days after treatment, so avoid saunas, hot tubs and intense heat, as these can cause blood vessels to dilate, potentially leading to increased swelling or bruising.
During your one-on-one consultation with Dr. Cat, she’ll share tips for how to extend your results, including the importance of a solid skincare routine which can make your fillers even more effective.
Hydration and Skincare
No cosmetic treatment is ever a substitute for great skincare. Combined, they work hand in hand to give you the best possible results, improving the quality and appearance of the skin and perfectly complementing your filler treatments.
A gentle and hydrating moisturizer keeps your skin supple and prevents dryness. Well-moisturized skin can support the filler area, and expedite the healing process.
Dr. Cat’s medical-grade skincare line, MD GLAM, is a testament of her extensive expertise in skin science. These products contain effective anti-aging and skin health ingredients, and provide the perfect follow-up to dermal filler procedures.
Staying hydrated is also essential for optimum skin health and recovery.
Hyaluronic acid fillers provide volume by absorbing water, so they work best when the skin is well hydrated.
Drinking enough water helps maintain skin elasticity and plumpness, which will increase the longevity of your dermal fillers and ensure your skin looks its best.
Skin glowing? Volume restored? Perfect. But how can you keep your skin looking red carpet ready for as long as possible?
To ensure the best possible outcome, a personalized dermal filler maintenance plan under the guidance of an expert like Dr Cat is your path to perfectly balanced contours.
Regular follow-up appointments are important to help you assess your recovery, and provide space to tweak your treatment plan as needed.
Dr. Cat’s top-priority is to listen to her clients’ concerns and desires. By regularly talking to your doctor, you’ll get the best out of your dermal fillers and enjoy beautiful skin for longer.
Dr. Cat Plastic Surgery: Put Your Best Face Forward
Whether you’re considering dermal fillers for the first time, or want to improve your filler results, we’re here to help you look and feel your very best by sharing exactly how to make dermal fillers last longer.
Dr. Cat’s artistry is the key to unlocking a more refreshed, vitalized appearance. She creates a safe space for you to reveal everything you want to achieve, and guides you along the best path to reaching your goals.
With years of experience and thousands of procedures with patients like you, Dr. Cat will create a personalized treatment plan tailored to your unique needs. Because, after all, there is only one you.
Ready to turn back the clock?