Aging can take a toll on all parts of the body. While it’s normal for changes to occur, the specific signs of aging can vary from one person to the next. Many people seek treatments to minimize the signs of aging and optimize their overall appearance.
Even though there is often a conversation about facial wrinkles, aging can also cause sagging and drooping on other parts of the body as well. One condition that you might be concerned about is a sagging butt.
Higher Risk for Saggy Butt: Women or Men?
While this condition is more common in women, it can affect men as well. Women tend to have a higher risk because they carry larger amounts of fat in the hip and buttocks region.
Since there is more fat in this area, it can start to sag over time. The sagging can begin in middle age, although the timeline varies from patient to patient.
Unfortunately, a sagging butt can take a toll on overall confidence and self-esteem. If you notice changes in your shape and size, rest assured that treatment options are available to correct this issue. You don’t have to put up with this problem for the rest of your life. Talk to a cosmetic surgeon to learn more about non-surgical and surgical options that can improve the appearance of your body.
Common Causes of a Sagging Butt
As with any other condition, a variety of factors could contribute to the development of a sagging butt. It can be helpful to understand these risk factors. Identifying the underlying cause can be an excellent step in determining the ideal solution for treatment.
Remember that a sagging butt can be caused by fat in the area and the shape and size of the gluteal muscles (the largest muscles in the buttocks region). When the muscles are strong, they can help to create a taut and firm appearance.
Here are some of the reasons why patients develop a sagging butt:
- Age: It’s normal to lose muscle tone with age. Even if you are proactive with working out, it’s possible that your muscles are decreasing in tone and strength. As the gluteal muscles start to lose tone, it can result in a sagging appearance. Additionally, aging causes the skin to lose elasticity, which can result in sagging in different parts of the body.
- Lack of Exercise: If you want to maintain strong muscles, regular exercise is essential. Not only do you need cardio to burn calories and boost your metabolism, but you should also add strength training to your routine. Patients who don’t exercise regularly might see the effects in their bodies over time, such as a sagging butt.
- Dietary Choices: The food choices you make every day will have an impact on the shape and size of your body. An unhealthy diet increases fat storage, but the excess fat near the skin can result in stretching and sagging – which might cause the buttocks to appear like they are sagging.
- Sitting Too Much: Do you sit at a computer all day? Being in a sitting position for too many hours each day could contribute to the development of a sagging butt.
- Weight Loss: Losing weight is a great way to improve the overall shape and appearance of the body. But if a person drops a dramatic amount of weight, the skin can stretch and droop.
Benefits of a Butt Lift Surgery
Many women can improve their shape through diet, exercise, and lifestyle changes. But sometimes, these lifestyle adjustments aren’t enough. Surgical intervention is the only way to achieve the curves you desire.
Self-confidence matters, which is why it makes sense to consult with a plastic surgeon about treatments to fit your needs. When patients choose to have cosmetic surgery like a butt lift, they are looking for a solution to boost their self-confidence and be able to wear certain types of clothing.
Here are some of the benefits that can be achieved through a butt lift surgery:
- Improving the overall shape of the butt
- Firmer-looking butt
- Better body contours
- Lifted and toned butt
- Increasing buttock volume
- Getting rid of loose skin
If you want these benefits for yourself, the best solution is to schedule a consultation with a plastic surgeon to determine the ideal treatment for your needs. Dr. Cat can recommend the ideal procedure that will improve the overall look and feel of your butt. Additionally, some patients choose to pair butt lift surgery with other cosmetic treatments.
Other Procedures to Pair with Butt Lift Surgery
Not only do you want to improve the appearance of the butt region, but many patients are also looking for ways to optimize the shape and dimensions of the body. Creating a younger, rejuvenated look with different body contouring services is possible. For example, some women choose a mommy makeover after they are done with pregnancy, which involves multiple treatments and a custom-designed plan.
Here are some of the other treatments that often go well with buttock lifting surgery:
- Thigh Lift: Another possibility to pair with butt lift surgery is to get rid of the loose and sagging skin in the thigh region. The goal is to smooth out the skin and create firmer thighs.
- Tummy Tuck: If there is loose skin in the stomach area, an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) is an effective solution to tighten this region.
You might choose multiple surgical treatments to achieve the best results. For example, a Brazilian butt lift can be done, and then patients can have a tummy tuck or thigh lift after to improve the entire region from the stomach to the knees.
Non-Surgical Treatments to Improve a Sagging Butt
If you don’t want to have surgery, then there are other non-surgical treatments you might consider. These options are ideal for patients with mild or moderate sagging butt symptoms. But surgery might be the only option if the sagging has progressed and is severe.
These treatments are minimally-invasive because they involve injections without a need for incisions or surgery. Many patients prefer to try these options first because they want to avoid the scars and incisions from surgery.
Talk to a cosmetic surgeon about injectable options such as Sculptra and other dermal fillers. Some products, such as Sculptra are designed to help with collagen stimulation. Sculptra is commonly used for boosting volume by building the body’s collagen, so patients can benefit from injections in various parts of the body and even the face. Keep in mind that it takes a few months for collagen to develop, so you won’t see results immediately. Also, many patients need multiple treatments to achieve and maintain the desired results.
Dermal fillers have ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, which help to reduce unevenness, such as skin depressions and hip dips. One of the benefits of this method is that hyaluronic acid naturally occurs within the body.
Regardless of the type of injection you are using, you need to know that they are only temporary treatments. Eventually, the body will break down the injected ingredients, so it’s necessary to have repeat treatments in order to maintain the results.
Should You Consider a Buttock Lift Surgery?
One of the fastest and most effective solutions for improving the appearance of the buttocks is surgery. There are several ways that the buttock region can be lifted to improve its shape and reduce sagging.
- Buttock Lift: The first option is to lift the buttock by removing loose skin located between the lower back and upper part of the buttock. Pulling the skin up helps to tighten the entire buttock region. This option is less common than fat grafting to the buttocks.
- Fat Transfer: Another option is known as a Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL). This involves transferring fat to shape the buttock area. The goal is to improve volume, projection, and firmness in the buttock region.
Depending on your unique needs, one or both of these surgical treatments might be necessary. Your surgeon can help you determine the ideal procedure based on the underlying cause of your sagging butt.
For example, patients who have a sagging butt after losing a lot of weight won’t see the results they desire from BBL alone. It’s also necessary to remove the excess skin left over now that the fat storage is smaller. So, a surgical butt lift is often recommended to remove the loose skin.
Risks and Recovery After Butt Lift Surgery
As with any surgical intervention, there are potential risks associated with going under the knife. Potential risks of this surgery include:
- If nerves and blood vessels are damaged, it could cause an injury, such as fat embolism or even death
- Change in skin sensation
- Skin discoloration
- Slow wound healing
- Localized swelling
After the surgery, you should expect to have localized bruising and swelling. Additionally, it’s possible that there might be slight bleeding from the incisions.
Many patients use over-the-counter pain medication or prescriptions in the first few days after the surgery. You will find that the symptoms continue to decrease in the coming days and weeks. Most people find that their pain is much lower after two weeks. It typically takes 2 – 3 months for a full recovery.
Are You a Good Candidate for Butt Lift Surgery?
Before anyone can schedule a butt lift surgery, it’s important to talk to a cosmetic surgeon for personalized recommendations. Patients need to be in good mental and physical health. Also, you need to have realistic expectations for the potential results that can be achieved.
This treatment is a personal decision. Your doctor will discuss the possibilities to help you determine if you are a good candidate for this surgery.
If you want to be considered for butt lift surgery, you need to meet these requirements:
- Old enough to be finished with development (at least 18 years old)
- Have realistic expectations for the results
- Good physical health to reduce the risk of surgery
- Have a sufficient amount of fat available in other areas of the body
How Long Will the Results Last?
When you are correcting a sagging butt with a butt lift surgery, the results are semi-permanent. If a patient gains weight, they should gain less weight in the areas where fat cells were removed, and more to the areas where the fat cells were grafted. Most people find that the results last for years or even a decade before any follow-up treatments are needed.
Keep in mind that aging continues to cause changes in the body, which means that the results can change over time.
One of the best ways to maintain long-lasting results after surgery is to be consistent about keeping the same weight in the coming years.
What To Expect During a Butt Lift Consultation
When you meet with a doctor to discuss butt lift surgery, many points of conversation will happen during this appointment. Your doctor will want to assess different factors affecting your risk and potential outcome.
Not only is the surgeon looking at physical factors, but they also need to be sure that patients are in good mental health before undergoing any type of cosmetic treatment. Your doctor might ask questions such as:
- Why do you want a butt lift surgery?
- What are your goals and expectations from this treatment?
- Do you often think about parts of the body that you are unsatisfied with?
- Is a partner, spouse, or friend encouraging you to have this surgery?
- Are you aware of the potential risks associated with the surgery?
Schedule a Consultation with Dr. Cat
Are you considering any type of cosmetic surgery, then Dr. Cat is a great resource to learn more about your options. Call to schedule a consultation with Dr. Cat Begovic to discuss your goals and determine the ideal treatments for your unique needs.
Meeting with a board-certified surgeon ensures you get access to the personalized, quality results you deserve. Call today to schedule a consultation and learn more.