Historically, women have been the primary demographic of patients seeking med spa and plastic surgery services. But plastic surgeons are seeing new trends, with more and more men coming to the office for these services. The surge in demand for plastic surgery for men is changing the industry, especially as the taboo of men and cosmetic treatments starts to fade away.
Men are becoming more aware of their appearance and want to be proactive about maintaining their youth. In addition, as cosmetic treatments become more commonplace, it’s becoming more acceptable and normal for men to seek local plastic surgeons and med spas services.
The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery recently reported that injectable services, like Botox, have more than doubled among men between 2010 and 2016. In addition, cosmetic procedures for men continue to increase overall, with a demand that has tripled in the past decade.
Brotox is Where it Starts
“Brotox” is the term that has been coined for the increasing demand for men to get Botox and other injectables. Women and men both find that Botox feels like the right place to start. These minimally-invasive injections provide instant results and are affordable compared to more intensive plastic surgery treatments.
Botox for men is usually focused on reducing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. The most popular Botox for men injection sites include:
- Targeting laugh lines around the mouth
- Reducing creases in the forehead
- Minimizing frown lines between the eyebrows
- Preventing crow’s feet near the corners of the eyes
Additionally, Botox for men can provide functional benefits. For example, some men use these injections to treat medical concerns such as lazy eye, neck spasms, and excessive sweating.
The Botox Stigma Is Dwindling
In the past, there was a stigma to plastic surgery and injections. Now, this stigma is fading because these treatments are becoming more common. Even if someone doesn’t want to have an open dinner conversation about their plastic surgery treatments, the judgment of being “vain” is disappearing.
Everyone wants to look good, especially when sharing their selfies online. As these treatments continue to increase in popularity, men are starting to discover that many of their friends and colleagues are also investing in Brotox to maintain their appearance.
The Pressure to Stay Young in Competitive Industries
One of the factors driving plastic surgery for men is the ongoing pressure to maintain a youthful appearance in competitive career industries – particularly for middle-aged men in the tech industry. For example, plastic surgery doctors in and around Silicon Valley are in high demand for men.
Men in their 40s and 50s are competing with 30-somethings and feeling like age is a negative factor that will hinder career advancement. Employers are putting an increasing value on hiring fresh, young candidates. So, middle-aged applicants feel like they are being boxed out of potential opportunities. They want to maintain an edge in their career, especially since retirement is still 15 – 20 years away.
The tech sector is hip and fresh, putting undue pressure on men to maintain their appearance if they want to stay relevant in the industry. As a result, mid-career employees are more open to exploring their options for cosmetic procedures and plastic surgery for men.
Social Media and Dating Apps Are Fueling the Trend
Men want to look good for their online profiles. While social media filters can remove the appearance of wrinkles in photos, the filters don’t work in real life. Men compare their appearance in digital images to what they see in the mirror and want to create a youthful appearance at all times.
Social media filters are having an undeniable impact on the cosmetic industry. In fact, many patients are bringing filtered selfies to their cosmetic surgeons to show the results they would like to achieve.
At the same time, the use of Botox and fillers are becoming more mainstream on social media, with people sharing more openly about when they have these treatments. As the conversation on social media includes more and more information about Botox and other cosmetic services, the mainstream population sees that these services are more commonplace than they might realize.
Video Conferencing Is Driving the Cosmetic Industry
Video conferencing has been the “new normal” since the start of the pandemic, and plastic surgeons are seeing that these digital meetings are making people more aware of their appearance. The “Zoom effect” is happening where people spend hours of their day in video conferences, which means they see their wrinkles and signs of aging more often than before.
This awareness, and a desire to look good in the camera, is a motivating factor that is leading the demand for plastic surgery and Botox for men and women.
Additionally, work-from-home schedules have created more flexibility, making it easier than ever for people to get med spa and plastic surgery treatments with minimal disruption to their work. For example, a quick lunch break is enough time for Botox injections. Or, patients can schedule more intensive treatments with the opportunity to manage work and maintain privacy at home during the recovery period.
Encouragement from Their Partners
Another motivating factor driving the increased number of Botox for men is the influence coming from their significant other. If a partner or spouse uses cosmetic treatments to stay young, there is often increasing pressure for the other partner to do the same. Men don’t want to feel like they are aging more quickly than their partners. They want to look as good as their counterparts.
Once a partner has paved the way by doing the research and finding a plastic surgeon, it’s easier for a man to jump on board and use these services as well. Additionally, new trends are coming up with couples planning “Botox parties,” with estheticians and nurses offering private services and group discounts when a group of friends gets their Botox at the same time.
Health and Wellness Expectations for Men
For many years, men have associated health and wellness with their athletic performance, including bodybuilding or strength training. As a result, these activities have been the main focus for men and their body image.
Now, Brotox is being viewed as another way to improve the overall appearance. Not only are men spending time in the gym to build muscle, but they see it just as important to maintain a youthful facial appearance. Therefore, plastic surgery for men is viewed as a normal and accepted part of maintaining personal appearance.
Botox: How it Works
How is it possible to “erase” the signs of aging? If you are considering Botox injections, then it’s a good idea to understand how the treatment works. Botox is a fast and simple cosmetic treatment that can be performed in a medical office.
During the treatment, botulinum toxin is carefully injected into the facial muscles. This neurotoxin is generally safe when used in controlled, small doses by a medical expert.
The neurotoxin releases acetylcholine, which is a neurotransmitter that affects the way the muscle moves. As a result, the neurotransmission messages are blocked, so the nervous system keeps the muscles relaxed. As the muscles relax, it naturally reduces the appearance of wrinkles.
How Fast Does Botox Work?
Most patients see the effects of Botox within the first 1 – 4 days after treatment. However, there might be minor side effects in the first few days, such as tenderness and slight bruising.
The injections reach their peak effect 1 – 2 weeks after treatment. The results last between 3 – 4 months, depending on how quickly your body starts to break down and remove the toxins. Patients usually come back to the office every few months for additional injections because they want to maintain the same appearance.
Possible Side Effects of Botox
When someone is considering Brotox for the first time, they want to know about potential side effects that can occur. The side effects of Botox for men and women are the same and might include:
- Bruising at the injection site
- Slight swelling
- Excessive tears
- Dry eyes
- Flu-like symptoms
These minor symptoms usually go away within a few days. In rare situations, serious complications can occur if Botox is not performed by a qualified professional, preferably a board certified plastic surgeon. For example, if the toxin spreads to other parts of the body, then side effects might include:
- Vision problems
- Loss of muscle control
- Difficulty breathing
- Swallowing problems
- Loss of bladder control
If these symptoms are happening, it could be considered an emergency, and you should contact your doctor without delay.
Rest assured to know that Botox has been deemed safe by the FDA. This approved treatment is done on millions of patients each year. Most people experience minimal or no side effects after their Botox injections.
Botox for Men: Quick Treatment Time and Minimal Recovery
One of the notable benefits of Brotox is that the treatment can be done in less than 30 minutes, making it easy to fit the appointment in during a busy workday. Additionally, career-driven people don’t want to take time off for recovery. Botox makes it possible to return to most normal activities immediately – without any required downtime.
Since Botox is fast and simple, it’s an easy place to start for someone who is worried about the fine lines and wrinkles they are noticing. Botox for men is helping people feel better and look better, which is why these services are becoming a standard part of the self-care routine.
Plastic Surgery for Men: Other Popular Procedures
As men see the benefits of how Brotox boosts their confidence and improves their appearance, they become curious about other types of cosmetic treatments. The most popular procedures that men are getting include:
- Eyelid Lift: This treatment is especially popular among men who are working long hours and don’t want to hear comments about how tired they are looking. An eyelid lift helps to reduce the appearance of bags under the eyes. Also, it’s possible to remove excess skin from the upper eyelid. Not only does the removal of excess skin improve the field of vision, but it also creates a more youthful face and brighter eyes.
- Liposuction: Obesity is an ongoing concern in the United States, and many men are looking for ways to maintain a slim physique. Liposuction is a solution to remove the fat and sculpt the chest and stomach, as well as any other parts of the body.
- Rhinoplasty: Nose jobs are a common type of plastic surgery for men for both aesthetic and functional purposes. For example, men can improve the shape of their nose and also fix damage related to an injury or physical obstructions within the nose passages. For example, rhinoplasty can help with the treatment of sinus infections or sleep apnea.
- Breast Reduction: Men want to remove soft tissue and fat in the chest area, which is why breast reduction is a popular treatment. This treatment sculpts the chest to show the muscles in the pectoral area.
- Fillers: In addition to Brotox, many men are seeking other types of injections – known as fillers. These injections add volume and can be used to shape different areas of the face. For example, dermal fillers can plump up the cheeks, volumize the lips, reduce the appearance of scars, and eliminate marionette lines.
Plastic surgery for men opens the world of possibilities for people who want to change and improve their appearance. The results are undeniable, with patients loving the investment they made to boost their self-esteem and confidence.
Questions to Ask Before Brotox or Plastic Surgery
Are you thinking about trying Botox or plastic surgery for the first time? Make sure you choose a licensed medical professional to ensure the safety and efficacy of the treatment. When it comes to the appearance of your face, you don’t want to cut corners to save a little bit of money.
The good news is that Botox is a standard procedure, so you have the option to choose from many different providers in the area. Schedule a consultation so you can learn more about how the treatment works and what kind of results you can expect.
During your consultation, it’s wise to ask questions so you can learn more about how this process works. Common questions to ask might include:
- Is Botox the best treatment to achieve my goals?
- Do you recommend any other plastic surgery or cosmetic treatments?
- What are the potential side effects of these treatments?
- What is the expected recovery time after treatment?
- How long will the results last?
- What do I need to do before and after the procedure?
Benefits of Brotox: Is This Treatment Right for You?
Are you on the fence about Botox treatments? Here are some of the benefits you can expect if you decide to get this treatment:
- Non-Surgical Treatment: Unlike more intensive plastic surgery treatments, such as facelifts and brow lifts, Botox offers a minimally-invasive solution that doesn’t require you to go under the knife. There’s no need for anesthesia, recovery time, or hospitalization.
- Self-Esteem Boost: How do you feel when looking in the mirror and seeing a youthful, fresh appearance? Too many wrinkles and the compounding signs of aging can make a man look older than he actually is, affecting self-esteem. Botox offers a solution to turn back the clock and boost self-esteem and self-confidence at the same time.
- Immediate Appearance Enhancements: Brotox is a fast and effective way to achieve immediate improvements to your appearance. It’s like taking an eraser to remove wrinkles and fine lines.
- Prevention for the Future: Not only do you notice immediate results from Botox injections, but these treatments can also be preventive to minimize wrinkle formation in the future. If you want to work on prevention, then Botox and other med spa services can help you delay the signs of aging.
- No Work Disruptions: Botox is nicknamed the “lunchtime procedure” since it only takes 30 minutes, and you can go right back to work after the treatment is done. In rare cases, some men need to take the rest of the day off work because of swelling or bruising.
These benefits are undeniable, which is why the demand for Brotox and plastic surgery for men is on the rise.
Personalized Consultation for Brotox and Plastic Surgery for Men
Are you ready to invest in yourself and your appearance? Botox and other types of cosmetic treatments are accessible and practical, giving you a fast way to boost your self-confidence.
This process starts by scheduling a consultation with an experienced provider. Then, we’ll discuss the ways your life will be different after the treatments and put together a customized plan to help you achieve the personalized results you desire.
Dr. Cat Begovic is one of the leading plastic surgeons in the area, offering both surgical solutions and minimally-invasive treatments such as Botox and fillers. As a board-certified surgeon, Dr. Cat has many years of experience in the industry and stays up-to-date on the most current trends. Schedule a consultation for more information about available services.